X

W2K-1

Home Forums NMEA 2000 W2K-1

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    HPN
    Participant

How come that the NMEA reader and Toolkit does not support W2k-1 ?

It cant be that big difference if the data is received by USB or by WIFI.

• This topic was modified 2 years, 6 months ago by HPN.
    • This topic was modified 2 years, 6 months ago by HPN.
    Josh Keets
    Keymaster

Hi there,

Currently NMEA Reader and Toolkit are not configured to receive data via TCP/IP/UDP Comms, however it is on the to do list. Unfortunately integrating IP Comms into the applications is a reasonably complex process requiring a large amount of work.

Whilst it is not directly possible at the moment, there is a way to get your Wireless 0183 data into NMEA Reader via the W2K-1 using a third party application. Using HWVSP3, you can create a VCP on the program which is fed from an IP Address.

Essentially, you set the COM Port number (ensure this does not collide with one that is already existing on the PC from a physical device), set the IP addr it is from (192.168.4.1 for W2K-1 AP), and set the Port number as that of the Port Number for the data server you are trying to receive from.

If you would like instructions on configuring this program to work with the W2K-1 and NMEA Reader, or need any support, please create a ticket on our help desk.

Thanks

Josh!

HPN
    Participant

Thank you
    I have now installed the HWVSP3 and it works.
    Now I just wonder what is the best configuration for the W2K-1 server to get the most out of NMEA reader?

Josh Keets
    Keymaster

Hi there!

Happy to hear that you have the set-up working with HWVSP.

In regards to the data format and configuration, NMEA 0183 will give you the most data at the moment, as some of the formats are not designed to be supported and decoded by NMEA Reader, rather they are designed with applications developed for these formats in mind.

Thank you.

Josh

seasicksteve
    Participant

Could this technique be used to configure the EMU-1 via the W2K-1? I am thinking of getting an EMU-1 but reluctant to buy an NGT-1 just to configure it. A W2K-1 would be much more useful.

Thanks, Steve.

Josh Keets
    Keymaster

Hi Steve,

My apologies, looks like my reply never actually sent way back in November!

Possibly in the future this is something we might work on. It is on our ‘potential ideas’ list, as a future improvement (or new product if we ever make a W2K-2). However at this moment in time, configuring the EMU-1 is only possible via the NGT-1.

The NGT-1 is a very useful tool to have on board anyway, as it isn’t just a configuration USB Device, it can also be used to monitor and diagnose issues on your network, and log all of your data when used in combination with NMEA Reader. The device is capable of transferring every single NMEA 2000 PGN from the network to the PC… ideal if you also want a chartplotter / nav program on an on-board computer or laptop.

Please let me know if there is anything else you would consider a potential improvement to the W2K-1 in future and I will get it logged.

P.S. I will log your interest in the wireless configuration ideas, to keep track of how many customers are requesting this feature.

Thanks,

Josh.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.